Monday, February 11, 2008

A moment...with Meagan

Sometimes I like to sit back after the day is through and think about the moments in my life that I would consider "defining moments."  These moments include events such as the move my family made from Oklahoma to Utah, my graduation from college, the moment I knew that I was going to marry Hubert, my wedding, and of course the birth of my daughter.  All of these moments, and a handful of other significant and not so joyous moments make up who I am today.  But what about the moments that are not defining and insignificant?  It seems that these moments pass by us like a speeding car down the street.  Sure, we look at it for a moment, but do we follow it with our eyes to see where it's heading?  Most of the time, we don't.  These moments last merely seconds and are very forgettable.  But what about the non-defining, insignificant moments that stick with us?  The moments that for some reason we can't get out of our heads like the annoying popcorn kernel that gets stuck in our teeth and no matter how hard we floss it's not budging?  Well, that's where "A moment...with Meagan" comes in.  Every week there will be a new "moment" where I will share an insignificant moment that has stuck me and won't go away.  Hopefully, through my candor, others will feel comfortable to share their own non life-defining, insignificant moments.  So, without further adieu, here is my moment:

Recently, I was sharing a lovely lunch with my sister-in-law, Ashley Steele, and my very good friend, Becca Reisbeck.  For some reason on that particular day, Ellie decided that me sitting down wasn't a good idea so I stood for the duration of our lunch and the conversation that followed.  As I was standing there, out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman walking towards me.  She had a fur coat on and the reason I remember that she had a fur coat on was because my first thought was that I wondered how difficult it was for her to trap and kill the ten minks it took to make that coat and how grateful her starving children must have been for the meat the minks provided.  Alas, I was wrong.  How do I know?  Well, the 2 karat diamonds in each ear and her freshly manicured nails were a hint.  I'm not saying that wearing fur is wrong if you're, say, a mountain man or an Inuit living in Alaska.  I'm just giving my own personal opinion about non-hunting fur wearing people.  Anyway, back to my moment.  As the woman walked closer to me and began to pass me, she stopped suddenly and looked right at me and Ellie.  She mentioned how beautiful she was and went on about her eyes, her hair, her lovely skin, and so on.  I couldn't help beaming with pride at the loveliness of my daughter.  At the end of her praises she turned to me and asked me a question that I found strange.  Not because the question itself was strange, just in the way she worded it.  She said, "Do you know how old she is?"  What did she mean?  Of course I know how old she is, she's my daughter!  I went through 21 hours of labor, 1 1/2 hours of pushing, and an emergency C-section to get her out.  Of course I know how old she is.  So I turned to her and said that she's about 4 1/2 months old.  She then looked at me with bewilderment and said, "Oh, she's yours?" I guess that kind of question is valid.  I mean, it's not like we're twins, or anything, but the way she said it took me aback.  As if what she saw, instead of a doting mother over her infant daughter, was a gargoyle holding an angel wrapped in heavenly white.  I understand that's a ridiculous comparison, but if you would have seen this woman's face you would know what I was talking about.   So now, because of this woman, I decided to look at my daughter and really see if there was anything about us that is alike and this is what I found:

Exhibit A: I didn't intend for her to look terrified in this picture, but she does.  Anyway, at close examination both of our ears stick out at the top.


Exhibit B:  We both have blue eyes.  Yes, hers are a completely different shade of blue, but they are still blue.  Doesn't that count for something? Oh, and sorry about the red eye, I have a weird pupil.

Exhibit C:  And last, but not least, could anything else make me this happy besides my baby girl?  I don't think so.
So there you go.  That was my insignificant moment.  Please feel free to write your own moment that in no way is defining and in no way significant.  Thanks for being part of "A moment...with Meagan."

4 comments:

Kami said...

Wow, you are on a roll. I'm really enjoying your writing and am so glad you have found a place to share it. But, I have to say I am stunned at the just plain stupidity of that woman who asked you if Ellie is yours. What planet is she living on? How could any reasonably conscious U. S. citizen these days be so insensitive and narrow, so unaware of all the possibilities beyond "white mother, white baby"?!!! I guess it's a good thing I was not standing there with you. I suspect you were nicer to her than I would have been.

Ginet said...

Hi Meagan,
I am Zach's wife. I came upon your blog when I was looking at some other family blogs.

First of all, I have to say that Ellie is absolutely beautiful and aside from her dark hair, she does look like you. No matter what that rude lady said!

Our little girl, Addie, was born about a week after Ellie and apparently they both have ears that stick out at the top. Addie (and one of her brothers) gets it from her dad so it must be a genetic thing on your mom's side of the family. I love it!

I also loved the pictures of the failed roll over. We have to same thing going on at our house right now. It cracks me up.

JDM said...

Megs,
You are beautiful and that lady must have been a special kind of crazy. And I love the way you write. I felt like I was right there with you.

Did I ever tell you about the lady (same kind of woman) asked if it bothered me that everyone who looks at me thinks that I dye my hair? I was only 16 and wasn't ready for the comment at all. The thing that still bothers me was the way she said it. It was mean and I was just a kid, she was a woman. Anyhow its just one of those moments that after the fact I though of a zillion zingers but when it happened I think I just said 'No' and walked away. Its funny how a 2 second interaction can be so offensive and stay with you.
Some people (not by us unless we are together and have our good running shoes on) just need a swift kick. Ok I know we would never do that but just think of how funny it would look if we did.
Hopefully that will make you smile.

Joshua & Lindsay said...

Mugs,
I get the same kind of insensitivity everywhere I go. People just can't believe that little boys with such thin, insignificant peach fuzz on their jowels and so much lustrous, thick hair on their domes could have actually been spawned from the seed of a balding wolfman such as myself. Just to throw them a curve I tell them that I have to personally shave them each morning so that they won't feel so old.
I'm actually in the process of making them all t-shirts that say, "Believe it or not, I share the same DNA as the Neandertal holding my hand." You should make a shirt that says, "I am an Equadorian Albino. Does that answer your question?" Then you can market it and actually make some coin, turning something so seemingly insignificant into something magnificently significant. Hey, by the way -- great little segment. Really brought a smile to my face.
Love ya love ya love ya