Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Moment...with Meagan

This past week Ellie and I have had a bit of a cold so instead of being outside playing, we have been inside playing, but the cabin fever finally got to us and we had to leave the house.  While still pajama'd, I put her in her car seat, put myself in my car seat, and off we were with endless possibilities.  The sky was blue, the weather cool, our sunroof open and wind was blowing through our hair.  It wasn't until I turned on the radio that I realized that my day wasn't going to be as good as it could have been.  Why?  Because I realized after flipping through each channel on the radio  multiple times, there was no good music, none, zip, zilch.  I'll  just be blunt, it was all crap.  And that is where this moment begins.  As I was sitting in my car, silently swearing because I forgot my i-Pod on this wonderful car ride that would be so complimented with a good song, I started to think about music in this day and age and I realized that I miss good music.  Sure, sometimes there is a catchy song that I find myself moving along to, but do I want to know anything about the artist?  No.  Do I feel the need to buy the CD?  No.  Do I forget the song as soon as I hear it?  Yes.  So what happened to good music?  I guess I have to clear the cobwebs of my mind and return to when I consider music to be good.  When my brothers played Depeche Mode in our little home on Altus Air Force Base and I happened to over hear it and be hypnotized with their dark lyrics and synthetic sound.  When hearing any song by Erasure would then, and even now, make me sing out loud with their melodies.  Or what about when the alternative era emerged?  
Nirvana played music that no one had ever hear before and it was dark, depressing, solemn, and so good.  To this day, they are still Hubert's favorite and as I'm typing this I'm looking into the face of the deceased Kurt Cobain on  my desk from a disc set that we recently purchased.  But what about other bands from that era?  There's Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam.  And let's not forget that fashion that was born.  I mean, who wasn't wearing flannel shirts tied around their torn jeans?  But not only do I love alternative and synthesized music, I also love hip-hop and even rap.  When was the last time a De La Soul song was played on the radio?  Or what about Jurassic 5?  Sometimes I hear A Tribe Called Quest, 
but only late at night when the DJ's bosses have gone home and they have free range.  Now, I'm not saying that all "new" music is bad, because it's not.  There are a few who have broken through the lame sounds of Britney Spears, Jonas Brothers, and every whiny Emo group that is out there.  For example, when Coldplay came out I thought they were awesome and have only gotten better.  And what about Feist?  
If you've never listened to her, give her a try.  And, of course, there are so many more bands that I love like the Beastie Boys, Indigo Girls, Sara McLaughin, Weezer, Death Cab For Cutie, and this list could go on and on.   Now, with all of the generic music and "artists" that are  being manufactured as fast as American Idol has seasons, how do we teach our children what, in fact, is good music? Well, I have been experimenting with ways to sway Ellie from lame music by artists such as Fergie or Miley Cyrus and showing her they are no good by doing various hideous facial expressions and hand gestures, and then we play a Beck or Frou Frou song which we happily, if not badly, dance to, therefore letting her know this is good music.  So far,  it seems to work, as you can see by this picture showing Ellie dancing to Coldplay's Viva la Vida.

So in closing, I know that if we all work together, we can stop the likes of Christina Aguilara, Justin Timberlake, the cast of "High School Musical," all of rap's "Lil's," and so many more.  And if we are able to wipe out all of the bad music out there, then maybe we could wipe out everything bad, like poverty, malnourished children, FOX News, and everything else detrimental to our society.  

10 comments:

becca said...

Don't get me started... Don't even get me started. I have not listened to radio in nearly a year- that is, ever since I met my iPod. But the trouble is, what do you do when you've listened to your music over and over and over and you are ready to gouge your ears out? And there's nothing good/new to add to your iPod? I do believe that this is what hell would be like... Plus the Jonas Brothers.

ahollandetc said...

i love this post! i love how you stated MY sentiments exactly! i couldn't agree with you more, with the exception of one thing: fox news. can we still be friends?

Joshua & Lindsay said...

I'm with ya gooner. If I know that you like some processed, modern t.v. dinner musical act, I can almost say with perfect conviction that you don't have very good character and that we will probably not be close freinds. And if you think FOX news gives you the fair and balanced story, and that Bill O'Liery is a great journalist then you also think the moon is made of green cheez. You see, the gubment has figured out a way to use this slop they call music to rewire our brains and make us all into docile little house pets ready to accept any lie they throw our way. It's not really music, it's just a series of tones and signals that they throw together that they have experimented with and know cause certain strange behaviors like wanting to go to malls, incessently text message when you've got nothing to say, watch movies with titles like "High School Musical II," watch FOX news, listen to George Bush speak and marvel at how charismatic he is or believe anything he says, blah blah blah. It's the soundtrack for the New World Order baby. We just better get used to it. And all this time I thought I'd at least be hearing something cool like Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" playing in the background. Anyway, 3 words for ya: blue grass & jazz. Something you can sink your teeth into. Here's a great websight where you can listen to great jazz non-stop, and for free even. http://www.jazzexcursion.com/. Love you Mahoney.
lil' j-bone

the Eggett's said...

You are so funny! But, I do have to say I do like HSM. Bummer. I just get so caught up in the love story between Troy and Gabriella. But, thanks to your enlightenment, now I know that HSM is just as bad as world hunger.

abbyB said...

I feel you! Ryan and I plan on teaching Harper what real good music is. I, too, have a confession: I like David Archuletta. I know he was produced by American Idol, but I just love his voice.

Nells-Bells said...

I am right there with you. Right. There. With. You. What is up with the rap-crap movement. RETARDED!! So glad we are on the same page.

Love your new background, BTW. :p

Zach said...

College radio (KRCL out there I think) helps. This website's great: http://www.npr.org/music/ Lots of good free concerts. Check out Jose Gonzalez. You won't be disappointed. Amen on Fox. The good news is that I did hear some De La Soul on the radio the other day. I was so suprised I almost wrecked.
-z

Wanna be farm girl said...

hmmm...I'm a country girl.......didn't realize there was other music out there....besides country. hhahahaa

though as I get older I have grown very fond of Andrea Bocelli, Early josh groban and sympony....

as you can tell I am heading straight for my rocker and turn on the elevator music! poor kids......I'll be sure and find some of mack'sa ir supply cd's for when you come over! lol

AJ said...

Meagan you should write for a newspaper! This might be your best post second only to the "I'm sorry I wear glasses!" While covering almost all our favorites you did leave out some classics...Dave Mathew's Band, James Taylor, Run DMC, Cake, and Counting Crows. Thanks for the shout out to Kurt RIP. Nothing like Smells Like Teen Spirit! The Radio should stay on NPR and every car should have an IPOD dock!

Unknown said...

Wow, your Nirvana/Hubert comment took me back to high school years when I used to chill out at Hubert's room listening to them. Good old times.

You got me listening to them now.