Monday, March 30, 2009

The Mexi-fry Incident

So there we were, my family and I, sitting at Taco Time eating a delicious and deep-fried fattening meal of Mexican food when it happened.  First, let me begin by thanking two people: First, the person that invented the crisp bean burrito and  second, the person that invented Ranch dressing.  Moving on.  In the midst of our meal and conversation about what Ellie did today, how work was for Hubert, am I going to finally shower when I get home, I overheard a most stimulating exchange between a man, probably in his 30's and who had obviously never visited this eating establishment, and the 16 year old cashier behind the counter.  Now, it's not him ordering the food that was interesting, it was what happened afterwards.  Unfortunately, when this happened either Ellie has spilled something and Hubert was busy cleaning it up or he had stepped away for a minute getting more salsa.  Who knows, really?  But what he missed was priceless and this was what happened.  Let me preface this conversation between this man and boy by saying that mexi-fries are tater tots.  And this is what happened:

Cashier: (Handing bag of food to man) "Here is your food, sir."

Man:  (Taking bag) "Thank you."  (Looking in bag) "Wait, what are these?"

Cashier:  "Those are mexi-fries".

Man:  "No, these are tater tots."

Cashier:  "Well, yes, but they are called mexi-fries."

Man:  "These are tater tots and I didn't order tater tots."

Cashier:  "Um, ok, do you want me to give you your money back?"

Man:  "No, I want what I ordered and I ordered mexi-fries, not tater tots."

Cashier:  "Well, the tater tots here are called mexi-fries."

Man:  "Well, that's ridiculous.  You need to tell people that they aren't ordering mexi-fries, they are ordering tater tots."

Cashier:  "But the mexi-fries are tater tots."

After the poor kid said this, the man stormed off and he stood there with the most confused look on his face and I noticed that I had been staring and finally looked away and could not believe the ridiculousness of what just happened.  It was hysterical.

3 comments:

Charles said...

Hey, Napoleon, gimme some of your {Mexi-Fries}

BRoss said...

Let me preface this comment by thanking 2 people: first the person who invented the crisp meat burrito (yes, more expensive, but well worth it), and YOU for posting this little gem.

Incredible. I believe this should be filmed and sent to Sundance as an Indy. I can tell you there are fewer places in the world where more comedy takes place than at a fast food counter.

becca said...

Damn-it Jim! I'm a doctor, not a tator tot impersonator!