Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why do I keep doing this to myself?


Yesterday, I ran the Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon and I have to say that it was not the easiest thing I have ever done, but after 2 1/2 hours of running (and sometimes walking), sore hips, knees, and calves, I finished and the best part was that I wasn't last!  Luckily, I was able to run with my really good friend, Amber Eggett, who is an amazing runner, and she was so nice to stay with me for the first few miles, but I knew that she could go so much faster without me, so I let her go and didn't see her again until the finish line, which was 30 minutes after she finished.  
Funny story, I had to take my glasses off during the race because they slide off my face when I sweat and because of that, everything was blurry. As I got closer to the finish line I could see families lined up and I could hear people cheering, so I thought I was almost there and I looked up and saw who I thought was my dad.  Because of that, I started waving my arms wildly, running really fast towards him with a gigantic smile, and when I got there I realized this man was in fact, not my father and I had just made a fool of myself while wasting valuable energy.  And the cherry on top of that fabulous story came when the finish line was a half mile away.  Stupid bad vision.

But anyway, I was so happy to see my family at the finish line cheering for me, but what really made the race all worth it was this awesome t-shirt.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Great post Meagan, I can sympathize with you on having misidentified who you thought was your dad. I wonder what the look on his face was. I bet you gave him a funny story to take home too.

becca said...

Meagrolls, Rhett here. Seriously all this running has got to stop. Its making my knees ache just hearing you describe these events. But congratulations on finishing this half marathon. There is no way I would even think about running that far unless I was being chased by a bear. Being in Utah county and all you must have really felt the spirit while running.

Nells-Bells said...

Girl, you are crazy! I have hugged too many strange men whom I thought were my father. That is why I stick with contacts.

L-O-V-E the picture of you with your mom and Ellie. BEAUTIFUL!

Cara said...

Supa-star!! I'm so proud of you for still running, even though we both know it's actually really, really lame. You are one of my all-time favorite people. No lie.