Thursday, August 21, 2008

So long, old friend


Today I say goodbye to Coke, my loyal and trusted friend.  You never left me in my times of need and never disappointed.  I have loved every minute we have spent together, especially when I would take that first sip.  I didn't matter if you were in a bottle or cup, it was always satisfying, welcoming, and even warm, as if I was a child nestling in  your plastic bosom.  You never criticized me when I would drink one, possibly two, or regularly three of you during the day.  Do you remember those moments, Coke, when we would laugh together?  When after the morning of my wedding day, there you were sitting on my kitchen counter, congratulating me on my recent nuptials?  Or how about that time when Hubert and I were out eating Chinese food and when he said a funny joke I laughed and then took a sip from your frosty glass?  Or what about all those times when I would sneak next door during one of the many weekend Logan trips Jake and Ashley would take and steal a can of you?  Memories.  Will you miss me, Coke?  Will you miss our morning drives to the local Chevron station that had the drive-thru because I was too embarrassed to get out of the car in my pajamas?  Or what about the others that will be hurt by our break-up?  There's Heather, the girl at the gas station.  I know she'll miss our morning, afternoon, and sometimes evening encounters.  Do you remember that hysterical conversation we had that one time when she said, "That will be $1.30," and I replied, "Oh, you're prices have gone up?"  And she then ended this humorous exchange with, "Yes, it used to be $1.20 and now it's $1.30."  Just thinking about it makes me laugh.  Oh, why are we breaking up, you ask?  Well, Coke, there are a few reasons.  First, we have been together for so long, I feel like I know nothing else.  I often see people drinking a see-through liquid they describe as "water."  I find that fascinating because I only thought water was for bathing or the liquid that falls from the sky during a storm.  The second reason is when you are over a dollar a pop (pun intended) it really adds up.  And third, I have so many times heard doctors, health reports, and news stories talk about how you can add weight onto the human body.  Add weight?  All this time I thought because the label said  that there was no fat that it would actually help me lose weight.  Who would have thought that calories are the real culprit?  So, so long, Coke.  I'll miss you, but I'm sure that one day we will meet again.  We always do.

9 comments:

the Eggett's said...

This was so funny! You are hilarious Meagan!

becca said...

Did you really have to break up with Coke in a public forum? Seriously Meagan, that's cold... Dumped on a blog. You could have at least sent Coke a text first. But it must be said, I'm proud of you for giving it up. This relationship has kept you in a self destructive pattern for some time now. You can get on with your life now baby! No tears!

Charles said...

I must say I too am proud of you. To think I almost brought a 12 pack to your dad's house. Yes I give in about once every two months. Sounds like you are going cold turkey. In which case you'll suffer headaches. if you ask my mom she'll tell you to eat some baby carrots... I tried it once and it provided very temporary relief...
I also love the comment left about the text to good old Coke... :)

Unknown said...

Oh how I miss the days of my daily or twice daily run to the "sev" for a big gulp of diet coke! I have been off it for over a year now, and for some reason after I had the babies I thought it might be a good idea to go on the "Diet Coke" diet. If you don't know what that is, it is drinking as much as you can to avoid eating actual food. That lasted a couple days, but what stayed was my daily craving for diet coke! I had to nip that in the bud! don't woory, you will get to a point where you can't even drink it because it hurts so bad going down. I'm here for you if you need anything!

Wanna be farm girl said...

It is so not funny to get dumped in such a public environment and yet by two women......I dumped him a week ago (one of many times)....although he went by the name of diet..... poor old bugger.....he has had a hard week.....

But I feel better!!!

becca said...

Are you nuts? Meagan come to Layton and have a coke at Paces that is the sweetest coke anyone has around here. Plus if you bring your own cup its only 52 cents for a refill. You can afford that. Come on, you can do it come back to coke. Trust me the relationship is worth it. You can make it work. Rhett

Cheryl Gillilan said...

Good Work Meagan, Just keep walking (or running) and never turn back, it was never good enough for you anyway, besides you deserve much better!

AJ said...

Me and the Coke will never part. My true love is for Diet Coke with a squeeze of fresh lime. I too frequent the gas station in the early morning hours, only I have no shame in purchasing in pj's! Good Post. What will you do instead?

Abe said...

I just got done drinking a Coca Cola Classic to satisfy my sweet tooth before I to bed and....your crazy! I love em' especially if you put them in the freezer and get them right before they are frozen, chilled would be a good way to describe it. Nothing better than a chilled Coke, not diet, not zero, but regular, after a hard days work out in the yard or something to get your sweaty. I know this doesn't help but good luck.